We have 2 composting bins on the secondary parking lot side of the building. These are meant for vegetable and plant material only, but if used properly will save on garbage, water & power use in our units, and create valuable composted soil for our flower beds—all good things. If we find that they are filling up, we can add another one.
- When using the bins, always be sure the lid is on and locked securely by twisting it.
- Do not open the bottom sliding door!
The rules are:
- Drop off only plant material, peelings, rotten veggies etc.
- Also good: old potted plants and soil from same
- no paper, plastic or litter box material (even if they are “compostable”)
- No animal waste
- no meat, bones, fat, eggs or eggshells (we do not want to tempt the rodent population)
- No huge chunks of stuff —whole watermelons, coconuts, etc. Chopping compostables into smaller pieces helps them break down faster.
- Please dispose of your plastic bags properly